International Driving License
People often love to drive instead of going by air. They prefer joyful long-drive against the dull flight. The delight of a long drive is always overwhelming. As the roads in your own country are unrestrained to you, so the road trip is not a big deal, you can go anywhere just by carrying your local driving license, but your assertion of a road trip abroad can get disrupted if you are looking to drive in a foreign land. Those peeking to drive abroad on a vacation or a business trip are usually unable to do so as they don’t have an International Driving License (IDL) or an International Driving Permit (IDP) that authorizes them to drive overseas.
Just like having a driving license is mandatory in your own country, getting an international driving permit or license is also necessary if you wish to drive in a foreign land. An international license or permits gives you the liberty of driving in a foreign land. You can drive as freely as in your local country. In some countries, you can use your valid domestic driving license as well but still, you cannot go through to a foreign land without having an international driving license. Undoubtedly, there will be many issues to face without it so it’s better to get it. You’ll have to cope up with many problems on your trip without having an International license or Permit. Though obtaining an international license can sound like an undertaking, it isn’t. This guide helps you with everything that you need to know about getting an International Driving License.
What is an International Driving License?
An international driving license is an official document that allows an individual to drive a private automobile in foreign countries. An international license is licensed by United Nations, giving the visitors the liberty to drive an automobile in a foreign land. Having an international license means you can go anywhere driving by yourself. You have all the liberty to make your foreign trip more memorable and fun. You can go to long-drives, you can drive with your friends or go for a picnic with your employees.
An international driving license is also referred to as an international driving permit but the truth is both are different.
You can read an article about international driving permits here.
An international driving license is issued in several languages for the transport authorities abroad to be able to verify and understand your driving credentials. In simple terms, an international license is an official translation of your local driving license.
Any foreign individual who wishes to drive a private motor vehicle on your country roads can also obtain an international license. An international license is valid for 1 year from the date of issue. It looks like a document page just as your local driving license.
Getting an international driving license is not mandatory in a few countries, but you should get one as it can help you in case of any mishaps or while claiming insurance coverage. It provides you with many facilities in a foreign land. It can be used as your identity in foreign country as well. There are many issues are to be faced in foreign countries, if you ever went on holiday abroad you probably know that there are so many clearance issues. Many false legal actions also take place on non-residents , so before going abroad you must have a driving license so that you can escape from false allegations and legal actions.
How can you apply for an international license?
Applying for an international driving license is easy and you can procure one by following one of either of the three ways:
- The process to obtain International License offline i.e. at the Regional Transport Office: Getting an International License is very easy, you can go to any nearest or regional transport office and apply for an International License.
- The process to obtain an International License online: Transport departments of some states provide you with the facility to avail an international license online. Visit your state transport department’s website and download the forms online. For both online and offline processes, you will have to pay a fee of Rs. 1000 and can avail of your IDL within a week.
- You will need some official documents in case of applying for an international license. So make sure you have all the necessary documents available on site.
Benefits of International Driving License
Applying for an international driving license is a simple process and also has many benefits:
- It certifies you to legally drive your private motor vehicle on International roads.
- An IDL is a confirmation stating that you hold a driving license in your country and you are now at liberty to drive on international roads.
- It can be used as identity proof. It not only gives you the freedom to enjoy your foreign journey o=by driving but also come up as a security backup. In case you lost your documents in foreign, the IDL would be very beneficial.
- You do not need any identity proof to procure this document.
- An IDL is accepted in over 150 countries. So by having a single document you can bring the delight of your drive to a foreign land.
- Some countries do not allow you to rent a car unless you have a valid International License. If you’re not carrying your IDL with you on your trip you cannot rent a car.
- Insurance companies require an International License to provide coverage to drivers who drive motor vehicles abroad. In case of any mishap, you can make your loss worthy by having insurance and it is only possible if you have an International License.
So before loading your bags for a foreign trip you should need to apply for an international driving license so that you can relish every single moment of your trip as you planned. To avoid any mishap you need to be secured. So make your security backup and you are good to go.